Don Schrader eats mostly fresh vegetables because he said cooked food is unhealthy for the body. In the jars to the left, he mixed vegetables and other food together to create his morning smoothie. In an entire year he said he spent little more than $1,000 on food.

Beloved nudist forced to move

Don Schrader’s apartment is every bit as unique as he is.

The 12-by-14-foot apartment, which he will vacate at the end of February, displays Schrader’s history in wall-to-ceiling decoration of pictures from his life, notes on his methodologies, cards from friends and published letters to the Weekly Alibi.
The apartment complex where Schrader lives, on Silver Avenue, is being remodeled and sold by the owners. Schrader has lived in the apartment for 22 years.
“It’s like a museum of my life, of my memories,” he said. “I have deep roots here. … If these walls could talk they would tell of the times I had sex with José here — as well with other men — of the many friends who have visited, so many different people here over the years, interviewing me or who have opened their hearts to me about their lives.”

The biggest challenge Schrader is facing is finding another apartment with similar dimensions, he said.

“I love to live simply, so I don’t want a bigger apartment,” he said. “I don’t want to pay the money. I don’t need it, and I don’t want it. I eat only raw foods. I don’t need a refrigerator. I don’t need a stove. I don’t need a kitchen. I don’t want any of that crap, so why should I pay for it?”

Large residences influence irresponsible living, Schrader said.

“The bigger the apartment or home you live in, the more materials it took to build it, the more energy it takes to heat or cool it, more stuff they buy to fill it usually,” he said. “The more unfair (it is) to our 6.8 billion sisters and brothers in the world.”

Schrader said his dedication to healthy living started when his mother passed away because of her unhealthy living style.

“Much of the reason I am so devoted to health today is having seen my mother suffer so much,” he said. “I am passionately devoted to health. I eat no meat, dairy, junk food. I smoke no cigarettes, I drink no booze, I smoke no marijuana, I use no prescription drugs, I eat no cooked food. I eat no meals in restaurants. I do eat a lot of fruit, drink my smoothies and I drink urine every day, and I highly recommend it.”

Schrader also said he will miss the premium sunbathing spot his residence offers him.

“Behind the garage on this property there is a spot that I have sunbathed many times in the winter in my bikini briefs,” he said. “It is protected from the wind and it’s just beautiful there. I call it my Riviera beach, but now I’ll have to find a different Riviera beach if I can find one.”
Schrader said the move could be problematic, because he might need a vehicle to move his belongings.

“I have not ridden in a car since April 2001,” he said. “It’s a recipe for disaster. There are more mouths to feed in the world while the available land to grow food on is being used for highways. It’s just madness.”

In the meantime, Schrader said he’ll stay with longtime friend Chuck Hosking until he can find a permanent residence. Compared to the world’s problems, Schrader said his housing inconvenience is insignificant.

“That’s life,” he said. “It’s nothing to what the people in Haiti are suffering.”
The impending relocation will not prevent Schrader from continuing his sun worshiping, urine drinking, UNM frequenting and daily walks, he said.

“Walking is like my personal parade for fitness, health, gay liberation, naked body freedom, living simply and against cars,” he said. “It’s one of my highs in life — my personal parade of walking in the sunlight in warm weather.”

WORDS OF WISDOM FROM THE DON:
1. “Something I love more than being naked is being responsible as a global citizen.”
2. “I welcome anybody — friend or enemy or acquaintance. Whenever they see ways that I could live more healthy, more simply, more wisely, more compassionately — tell me. It’s even better if they not just tell me with their mouths or write it to me but actually by their example show me.”
3. “Some people collect dolls, or dishes, or cars, or real estate, or guns, or stocks or bonds. I collect wisdom from everyone I meet. Even though I may disagree with a person on 98 percent of what they are saying, maybe that other 2 percent is enlightening to me, and I can live my life accordingly. ”
DAY IN THE LIFE OF UNM’S

FAVORITE NUDIST:
“Early in the morning after I get up I have a whole regimen of exercises I do in this room. Six different kinds of crunches — 110 of each 660 crunches. Every other day I do pushups, 180 pushups. Not all at once but increments (60, 50, 40, 30). The days I’m not doing pushups I do pull ups — a total of about 60 but, again, not all at once. I also use the resistance band and do Tibetan exercises. I average 45 minutes a day jumping on the trampoline either outside or in here.
In between my exercises I work on my smoothie. I go over often to the Zimmerman library to read the Albuquerque Journal and the Daily Lobo, or (I got to) the CNM library. If it is a sunny day, I exercise on the trampoline outside and read or write letters out there or visit with friends. Once in a while, I listen to Democracy Now.
(I go to) meetings at the Peace Center in the evening sometimes. On weekends I walk to the flea market. I love to go to the flea market. I see people I know, I meet people — many people recognize me. I love to walk to Old Town, Flea Market (and) Isleta Boulevard.”