UNM freshman quarterback Tarean Austin takes snaps during football practice. Austin is competing with Brad Gruner to replace B.R. Holbrook as the starter against UNLV this Saturday in Las Vegas.

Winless Lobos try their luck in Las Vegas

The unspoken sense surrounding UNM football is that this week’s game is a little more “winnable.”

The Lobos will embark on their second road trip of the season against almost identical foe UNLV (0-3).

“We are going to play a team that is very similar to ours,” head coach Mike Locksley said. “They have come off of a three-game stretch where they have played two ranked opponents. They’re a new program with a new coaching staff with new philosophies, and I am sure that we’ll get their best game.”

If you recall, two of UNM’s first three games were against two-top 15 ranked teams.

UNLV is not nearly as good, but its first-year coach Bobby Hauck came from a Division-II championship program.
Hauck took over in Las Vegas after posting an 80-17 record with Montana.

In seven years with the Grizzlies, Hauck won seven straight Big Sky Conference championships and Montana was a national semi-finalist three times in the FCS (formally Division-II football).

Hauck’s transition to the FBS has been rough in 2010, but the Rebels’ front man has a chance to earn the first win of his career at UNLV.
Hauck said this Saturday’s game between the Lobos and the Rebels is anyone’s contest.

“Obviously, with New Mexico, they’re in the same situation that we are in,” he said Tuesday, during the MWC weekly coaches teleconference. “It’s a chance to two teams that are hungry to get a win, and one of them is going to get it this weekend.”
But if UNM wants to earn its first win of the year, the Lobos need a starting quarterback.

UNLV

Junior Brad Gruner started against Utah, but suffered a back injury, while freshman Tarean Austin replaced him in the second half and finished with 128 passing yards, a touchdown and one interception in a 56-14 loss to the No. 14 Utes.
Nonetheless, Locksley said he hasn’t decided on a starter for Saturday’s game.

“Gruner gives us experience, and he started eight games for us in ’08.” Locksley said. “So the experience of having played in games is something that is helpful, especially for a young quarterback. The differences in Brad and Tarean is that Brad is a little more versed in designed quarterback runs. I think that Tarean is a little more versed as a young quarterback in our drop-back passing concepts.”
As for Austin, he is standing by and ready in the event that his number is called Saturday.

“(I have to) lock in,” he said. “Go out there and ready to be a leader.”

Austin’s spirit and play on the UNM practice field and in limited game action has impressed the Lobos’ coaching staff.
Locksley said Austin is growing into the football player he envisioned.

“Our offense, with Tarean playing extended time there in the second half (against Utah) — he is a kid, who I think has shown major improvement,” he said. “We are hopeful that he can grow from the experiences from playing against the No. 5 team in the country like he did versus Oregon, as well as the No. 14 team in Utah.”