Burbank's SUB comments rife with misconceptions

I would like to offer some comments in response to James Burbank's Jan. 30 letter in the Daily Lobo.

First, Big J Enterprises is not the general contractor performing the renovations within the Student Union Building. That contract was awarded to Silver Construction of New Mexico Inc. Big J was contracted to extend utilities to the four food service kiosk locations around campus. This work was awarded to Big J under a blanket job ordering contracting services agreement, which was competitively bid for under all state procurement laws and policies. The job ordering contracting agreement, administered through the Physical Plant Department, allows Big J to quickly mobilize and respond to various campus construction projects.

The food service kiosks were created obviously to sell things, but more importantly, to offer the UNM community convenient choices for food and beverages.

I hope someone with first-hand knowledge of what the term "concentration camp" has come to mean explains to Mr. Burbank the difference between the horror of their experiences and his complaints regarding the tent being cold. Most of the comments we've heard from customers have been complimentary and have recognized the SUB staff's efforts to provide on-campus food service choices during the period the building is under construction.

- Richard R. Ruminski

Remodel section manager

Physical Plant Department