Sigma Chi, Majedi both wrong

It is truly appalling to me that UNM has allowed the Sigma Chi fraternity incident to detract from its purpose "to serve the educational needs of the citizens of the State, and those of the nation and the world ."

Majedi committed a serious infraction deliberately, parking in a private lot without permission from the owner. If she had done so elsewhere, she would have been towed. Is she so special that she can bend the rules and park wherever she wants and not be held accountable? Just imagine what UNM would be like if the entire University population rebelled and parked wherever it was convenient.

Sigma Chi has a history of being abusive to minorities not included in its "elite" society, women and thousands of innocent bystanders who are trying to achieve their personal goal of attaining an education in a relatively safe environment. This behavior has been documented on campus before.

Sigma Chi should lose its charter and all the offenders should be put on suspension, not just the one who put the tape on the vehicle.

UNM is overpopulated for its size. The parking situation is, has been and will be an issue. This is not to fault Parking Services; space is not sufficient to accommodate everyone.

I abhor that Majedi will benefit from UNM financially because of her lack of responsibility. She, like thousands of others, should allow for ample time to get to class.

Why should the rest of the population lose benefits because of such arrogance from both parties involved in this situation? Rest assured that any financial settlement has to come from somewhere - teachers' salaries, building renovations, purchasing of additional land.

Was this really a racial issue, or just one of not owning up to responsibility? What kind of precedent is being set?

Suzanne Heaton

UNM student