Sports in Brief

The UNM softball team heads to San Diego, Calif., this weekend to take part in the Campbell/Cartier Softball Tournament at San Diego State University. Also competing are ninth-ranked Fresno State University, 15th-ranked Stanford University and 22nd-ranked Long Beach State University, in addition to San Diego State.

“We’re excited about playing teams of this caliber,” UNM head coach Susan Craig said. “We had a good week of practice and we’re ready to compete. Hopefully we’ll come back with good results.”

...

The UNM baseball team will have three home games on consecutive days, beginning today, as it plays in the Applebee’s Baseball Fiesta.

UNM, the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, the University of Utah — all Mountain West Conference teams — and Big-12 teams Kansas State University, University of Nebraska and the University of Missouri all take part in the event.

The Lobos play Nebraska at noon today, Missouri at 10:30 a.m. Saturday and Kansas State at 1:30 p.m. Sunday.

...

Senior forward Wayland White suffered a knee injury at practice Wednesday, but will most likely see action Saturday against visiting San Diego State University.

Monday’s non-conference win over Georgia State University brought UNM’s record up to 14-8 overall.

The Lobos still must hit the road for games against the University of Wyoming, which beat UNM 82-78 in The Pit Jan. 29, and Colorado State University, which the Lobos defeated 72-71 in overtime in The Pit Jan. 27.

UNM has home games against the University of Nevada at Las Vegas, Brigham Young University and the University of Utah left in the regular season.