Reynalds should stop crying and save a tree

Once again Jeremy Reynalds displayed his intolerance for other people's opinions.

It may be true that Ted Turner said some things he probably shouldn't have, as we all do from time to time. But to hear Reynalds complain about his religion being denigrated by anyone is laughable. His fundamentalist colleagues are every bit as derisive as Turner was and usually more so.

Where was Reynalds' outrage when his hero Jerry Falwell called Islam a religion of hate? Did anyone hear him complain when Bob Jones (of the university with that name) called Catholics and Mormons cults and the pope an antichrist? Where was he when Pat Robertson equated lesbianism with prostitution?

I think the Christian fundamentalists would be much more productive if they spent their time trying to save innocent children's lives around the world instead of trying to save souls that don't need saving.

We cut down thousands of trees every day so we can make newspapers and read about the decimation of forests. We throw away enough food every day to feed everyone on the planet for a year. We buy and wear clothes made by small children in sweatshops around the world.

Why don't these religious folks get on the bandwagon and help save our natural resources, reduce waste and protest against these terrible sweatshops? Why aren't they screaming about gun control when we have school shootings on a regular basis instead of expending their energy whining about Eminem and Turner?

Ted Turner has done more for children, women, poor people and the environment than Falwell, Robertson, Reynalds and Jones combined. He may have a loose tongue from time to time, but at least he is honest. Jesse Ventura is one of the most popular governors in the country and would make a better president than that bozo we have now, but he occasionally makes careless statements. We should judge people by their deeds, not necessarily by the occasional slip of the tongue.

Most of the people in this country are Christians and very good people. Unfortunately, their leaders, at least the ones you see on TV and who write intolerant and whiney columns, leave a lot to be desired.

Richard Fagerlund, B.C.E.

Environmental Services