Sports in Brief

Track and Field

Followers of the UNM track and field team will get a rare glimpse of the team at home Saturday at the Don Kirby Memorial Invitational, held at the Great Friends of UNM Track Stadium. It is the team's only home meet this season.

Field events begin at 8:30 a.m. with the men's and women's hammer throw, and track events begin at 9:40 a.m. with the women's 3,000-meter steeplechase run.

Other teams include Adams State College, Colorado College, Colorado State University, DinÇ College, New Mexico State University, New Mexico Highlands, Oral Roberts University and the Southwest Polytechnic Institute.

Admission is free.

Baseball

The UNM baseball team continues Mountain West Conference play this weekend with three key games against San Diego State University.

The teams meet Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m. with a 1 p.m. start time slated for Sunday. All games are at the Albuquerque Sports Stadium.

The Lobos (12-19 overall) are in fifth place out of the six-team Mountain West with a 2-4 conference record, while the Aztecs (14-9 overall) sit atop the conference along with the University of Utah and Brigham Young University - all with 4-2 records.

Women's Tennis

The UNM women's tennis team has three home matches scheduled for this weekend to kick off Mountain West play.

Today, BYU pays a visit to the Lobo Tennis Club for a 5 p.m. match and Saturday, Utah faces off with the Lobos at 5 p.m. UNM and the Air Force Academy square off at noon Sunday.

The 58th-ranked Lobos are 7-5 this year, but have won four of their last five matches.

UNM is 0-19 overall against the 48th-ranked BYU and is 6-11 against Utah. The Lobos are 2-0 all time against Air Force.

Admission is free to all matches.