Tiffany changes music, style, image

'80s mall queen tours college campuses with new sound, older fans

The Tiffany that performed in front of Popejoy Hall yesterday was not the Tiffany some people may have been expecting.

The red-haired teenager with the big voice has grown up to be a stylish, confident woman with an even bigger voice. Dressed in tight-fitting, black leather pants and with a shock of short, dyed, red hair, Tiffany's band started playing as she made her way onto the stage singing the song "I Will Not Break Down," off her new CD, The Color of Silence.

Tiffany made a name for herself in the '80s with the songs "I Think We're Alone Now" and "Could Have Been," both of which she performed to a crowd of about 200 people, most of whom were women.

A typical, standoff-ish New-Mexico crowd stood at least 10 feet from the stage until Tiffany encouraged people to get closer. She and her five-piece band played a set that contained a handful of songs off the new CD, including "Open My Eyes," "Butterfly" and "Cinnamon," as well as a rousing cover of Janis Joplin's "Bobby McGee."

Tiff's rendition of "Could Have Been" sounded just like it did years ago: Slow and sad. A more mature "I Think We're Alone Now" grooved to a raggae beat, which made for the show's great, bubbly ending. Tiffany, who was crowded by fans after the performance, and her band signed autographs after the show.

"I had a great time, we had a blast, but it's really hot here," Tiffany said after the crowd thinned out. "I think the audience was great, they were a little stiff at first, but you know . this is good trial and error for us. I think people are getting a chance to hear the new music. I think it's a little weird coming from me, but I've wanted to do this for a long time, that's why I didn't do an album."

Once known for playing free shows at mall's across the country, Tiffany is currently touring college campuses and hitting other venues along the way.

"We're doing actually some small clubs . things just keep rolling our way right now so it's a little in disarray 'cause a lot of people are hearing about it and so they're wanting to book us," she said. "Then we're gonna be going to Asia. Probably in July."

Honestly, anyone who was at the show and doesn't think Tiffany has grown as a songwriter and performer over the past 15 years isn't thinking at all. I, for one, am happy to see someone, who could've been content being a two-hit wonder, learn from past experiences and have the guts to get up there and try it again.