Bicycle safety event to be held on campus

UNM's Student Health Center, Recreational Services and UNMPD are teaming to help students, faculty and staff gear up for spring with an event that promotes bicycle safety.

Bicycle Safety Day will be held Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. between Johnson Center and Popejoy Hall.

Kim Henson, Student Health Center education and prevention manager, said the event is important because it provides the community with more information about bike safety. She said the number of students riding bikes and bicycle-related accidents have increased during the past year. Henson said a lot of people also are riding their bikes to avoid dealing with construction that has obstructed most thoroughfares.

The event will feature a variety of activities, information about bicycle safety and drawings and giveaways.

The UNM Bike Shop will do tune-ups and provide helmets. Bike safety pamphlets, bike maps and skateboard information will be passed out. Students can also have their bikes registered and engraved by campus police.

Henson said the Student Health Center also will have races that challenge participants to go the slowest and act the safest.

This is the third year the health center has sponsored Bike Safety Day, and Henson said that this year's event will be different because she expects more participation from students.

"It gets better every year," Henson said.

Henson, who has organized the event every year it has been held, said it is the perfect time to have the safety because the weather is so good.

Henson says that bicycling has many benefits - it is great exercise, helps reduce stress and is a great way to meet other people who ride bikes.

For more information about the event, call 277-7928.