Candidates interview to fill Latin American vacancy

Interim director applicants to participate in open forums

Staff Report

Two candidates for interim director of the Latin American and Iberian Institute will make presentations and participate in interviews on the UNM campus next week.

Monday, William D. Stanley, from the Political Science Department, will participate in his open forum in the Roberts Room of Scholes Hall from 4-5 p.m. Friday, Leo Michael Romero, from the UNM Law School, will participate in his forum from 2:30-3:30 p.m. in the Roberts Room of Scholes Hall.

The Latin American and Iberian Institute Policy Committee, headed by Garland Bills, will conduct two presentation and interview sessions open to the members of the Latin American Faculty Concilium as well as other faculty, staff and students.

Stanley is the director of Latin American Studies and an associate professor in the Political Science Department. He has conducted research on the politics of violence and conflict resolution in Central America, which he has published numerous times.

He is the recipient of two awards from the U.S. Institute of Peace, which funded the research in Central America. He has been on the Interdisciplinary Committee of Latin American Studies from 1994-96 and since 1998; the Latin American and Iberian Institute Policy Committee from 1993-95 and 2000-2001.

Stanley received his bachelor’s degree in international relations from Stanford University in 1981 and his doctorate in international relations, with his thesis on the elite politics of state terrorism in El Salvador, from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1991.

Romero served as dean of the Law School from 1991-1997, associate dean for Academic Affairs from 1989-1991 and as a law professor since 1978. He earned his law degree in 1968 from Washington University in St. Louis and a second law degree in 1972 from the Georgetown University Law Center.

He was chair of the Judicial Selection Committee for the State of New Mexico from 1991-97. He researched the Argentine system of criminal procedure at the Universidad de Salvador and Universidad Argentina in 1979. He has published several books and articles, including some dealing with the treatment of Hispanics in the criminal justice system.