Editor bids farewell; thanks readers, staff

As the 2000-2001 school year comes to a close, so does my term as editor in chief of the New Mexico Daily Lobo. This is also an end of a wonderful, four-year ride at the Daily Lobo for me. While new and exciting opportunities await me as I leave this newspaper, I will never forget the time and the people I have met here. This will always be a special place for me.

This past year has been the most fun I have ever had. The fun had a price, and I wish I could convey how much effort and work it takes to get a newspaper out, but it takes a lot out of a person.

I can’t tell you how many times I trudged home at 2 or 3 a.m. tired from the day’s events. But when I woke up in the morning and saw people reading the newspaper — sometimes intensely — I knew all the work was worth it.

I cannot leave without saying thanks to the many staff members who have worked hard to make this paper as good as it can be. Thank you (in no particular order) Ron, Alma, Angela, Rachel, Andrew, Matt, Kris, Laura, Craig, Michael, George, Brandon, Brad, Valerie, Colin, Jaime, GianCarlo, Francisco, Jenna, Sim¢n, Amber, Kathy, James, Matt, Sari, Amanda, Stefanie, Felice and Celina. This paper could not have run without all of you.

I must also thank the classifieds office for handling all the phone calls — good and bad. I must also give a nod to Daven Quelle and the advertising staff, Barbara Lovato and the accounting staff and business manager Jim Fisher for their sage advice and expertise. I especially want to thank writing coach Hank Trewhitt, Student Publications Board Chairman Bob Gassaway and the publications board members for their time and effort during this year.

I also want to wish new editor in chief Iliana Lim¢n good luck on her endeavors in the upcoming year. She has been a strong, vocal leader and has helped me in so many ways, I’d need another editorial to talk about it. It helps that she is also my best friend. Thank you for your support.

I would like to thank you, the readers, for also supporting this newspaper, whether it was through letters to the editor, phone calls or coming by the office to talk with us. Without you, this newspaper wouldn’t exist, and I wouldn’t have had such a fun time. Thank you.

And good-bye.

-James Barron

Editor in chief