M. Nicholas C†brera

M. Nicol†s Cabrera, a sophomore double majoring in Communication and Journalism and Spanish, is the only independent candidate running for the ASUNM Senate.

“I just believe students have a right to have a independent voice that reflects their needs, and I didn’t agree with the slates, so I am running alone,” he said.

He describes an ASUNM senator’s as a person who is servant leader.

“A senator is a person who unselfishly works on behalf of others without expecting anything back in return,” he said.

Cabrera said he feels qualified to serve as a senator because of his dedication to students and previous experience serving in local, state and national offices with DECA, an association of marketing students.

If elected, Cabrera said his top priority would be to streamline the election process by letting students vote online via I-TEL-UNM.

“I know GPSA already does it and I think it would be a good way to make elections easier on students,” he said.

Cabrera said he also would like to consistently visit students, faculty, staff and organizations; establish an ASUNM calling card with proceeds benefiting a charitable civic organizaiton; improve access to alumni activities and career services; and promote ASUNM as an outlet for aspiring student leaders.

He said the biggest challenge that ASUNM will face is working with students.

“I think it’s a matter of bring the Senate back down to earth and maintaining the student government as it’s intended to be,” he said.

When asked to name three members of the Board of Regents, the president of the University and three student groups, Cabrera named Begay-Campbell, Anaya and Herrera as regents; Dr. Gordon as president; and Phi Eta Sigma, Hispanic Honor Society, and American Indian Science and Engineering Society.