Police search for attack suspect

Two women say they were attacked in parking structure

Police are searching for a black male who attacked two women during the past two weeks in the parking structure on Campus and Lomas Boulevards north of Hokona Hall, according to UNM police reports.

A female UNM resident told campus police she was walking to her car in the parking structure at 7:40 a.m. on April 3. She reported that while she was walking up the stairs, she saw a black male walking down. She told police that as he passed her, the man reached up and grabbed her breast. The woman reported that she pushed him away and went up the stairs. She told police he did not chase her but said, “What are you getting all mad for?”

The student told police that the man who attacked her was wearing a black security guard vest and black pants. She described him as a 20-year-old black male about 5 feet 10 inches tall, weighing about 145 pounds with short, brown hair.

On April 11 at 11 p.m., police were called when residents of Alvarado Hall, across from the parking structure, reported that they heard a woman screaming. Police found another female resident on the third floor of the parking structure.

She told police that she was coming up the stairway on the southeast side of the parking structure heading for her vehicle when a black man ran up behind her.

She reported to police that she told the man, “You scared me.” She said the man just laughed.

Then, as she was about to open her car door, she saw the man pull a knit cap over his face and run toward her. The woman told police she saw a shiny object in his hand, and the man punched her in the abdominal area, then ran northbound through the parking structure.

The resident was taken to University of New Mexico Hospital because she suffered a laceration on the upper abdominal area about one centimeter deep where the wound was stitched.

She described her attacker as a 20-year-old black male who was 6 feet tall and weighed about 160 pounds. She said he was wearing a gray knit cap, a shirt with a gray vest design on it, dark pants, black gloves and gold stud earrings.

Lt. James Daniels, the UNM Police Department’s spokesman, said the department believes the crimes are related and are urging all students to cautious on campus, particularly in the parking structure.

“We’ve got a couple of leads on the case, but are asking everyone, as always, to just be careful,” he said.

Campus police, student patrol and security officers will be increasing patrols through the parking structure following the incidents.

Daniels asked that anyone with any information that could help solve the crime call UNM Police Detective Michael McGinnis at 277-3065. He said students can also give an anonymous tip to UNM Crime Stoppers, which can be reached by calling 277-STOP. Crime Stoppers will pay up to $1,000 for information that leads to an arrest and resolution of the case.

Daniels encouraged students to take the following precautions:

l Be aware of your surroundings.

l Walk with confidence — show that you are aware and in control. Body Language works.

l Trust your instincts. If something or someone makes you uneasy, get out or away.

l Be ready — don’t fumble in your pocket or purse for your keys.

l Always lock your car when you get in and out.

l Look around your car and in the back seat before you get in.

l Avoid walking alone, especially at night. Stay in well-traveled, well-lit areas.

l Know where the nearest blue light emergency phone is.