New baseball stadium will benefit entire city

In writing his April 25 letter “Arguments in favor of baseball stadium flawed,” Adam Collingsworth attempts to raise the point that “many people ... do not care for baseball and will never be affected by the existence or lack of a stadium.” It is this kind of selfish thinking that contributes to the lack of growth in Albuquerque.

I know people who do not care for or will be affected by libraries but will continue to vote for them because they know that libraries contribute to our city’s welfare. I also know many people who attend Lobo basketball games for the sake of socializing. The bottom line is a baseball stadium is not only for baseball fans.

Many people attend games to meet friends and enjoy the sun. The benefit of a new Downtown stadium versus the renovation of Albuquerque Sports Stadium is the impact it has on the surrounding area. There is a brand new Century Rio and countless restaurants being built Downtown. Do we really want to be the largest city in America without a professional team? And if we don’t like baseball, are we too selfish and cheap to vote for the chance for our city to flourish in ways others have for decades?

How dare we deprive our friends, neighbors and future generations of having nice places to go and enjoy themselves while we are constantly complaining that we have nothing to do.

And in reference to Collingsworth’s point that we are too busy worrying about bills, has he considered that things such as stadiums and other forms of growth would actually provide more jobs? Good cities help the homeless, provide jobs, combat pollution, build libraries and provide recreational and leisure opportunities.

Regardless of whether you are a baseball fan, do Albuquerque a favor and vote for a new stadium in the upcoming election.

Andrea Brue

Criminology Student