Republican candidate for mayor to visit UNM tonight

Mike McEntee, a city councilor and Republican mayoral candidate, will speak about city politics and answer questions tonight at 7 p.m. in room 127 of Dane Smith Hall.

Ryan Rice, chairperson of the College Republicans, said the group invited McEntee to share his ideas and opinions about politics so people could learn more about him and make an educated vote during the Oct. 2 mayoral race.

“Everyone will get a chance to ask him a question if they have one,” Rice said.

McEntee was elected to the Albuquerque City Council in 1997. He grew up in Albuquerque and has worked as an air traffic controller for the past 18 years.

He sponsored legislation to open city services to private competition and has worked to get staffing and funding for city services, such as the police and fire departments, according to his Web site.

McEntee says on his Web site that his campaign is about change, reform and openness.

“Unfortunately, the current administration has resisted change and clings to a culture of arrogance,” he said.

Matt Kennicott, executive director of the State Federation of College Republicans, said more young people should get involved in the political process so they can implement change.

He said McEntee is a pretty good mayoral candidate because he wants to attract big businesses to Albuquerque to improve economic development.

“I think he’ll do a lot better job than our current mayor,” he said.

Kennicott said Mayor Jim Baca holds vendettas against people he doesn’t agree with. He said Baca seems to have something against the police and won’t help them obtain pay raises.

Kennicott said he urges everyone to vote on the Downtown baseball stadium issue on May 30. People can vote on whether to spend up to $15 million in general obligation bonds to fund the project, and whether they approve of a new or renovated stadium, according to a recent news release from the mayor’s office served tonight at 7 p.m. and McEntee will speak at 7:30 p.m. Rice said everyone is invited, including non-Republicans.