Arts in Brief

The Weekly Alibi will present its seventh annual Short Film Fiesta on Friday at 5, 7:30 and 10 p.m. and Saturday at 2:30, 5, 7:30 and 10 p.m. About 12 short films from around the country and world will be shown at the Kimo Theater, Fifth and Central Avenues. It is $5 for the matinees at 2:30 and 5 p.m. and $7 for the 7:30 and 10 p.m. showings. For more information, contact Alibi film editor Devin O’ Leary at 346-0660, ext 230.

l l l

The New Mexico Shakespeare Festival presents the “Tempest” at the Corrales Recreation Center, located at Jones and Corrales Roads, two miles north of Alameda Road. The show runs Thursday through Sunday until July 22. Tickets are $12 for Thursday and Sunday shows and $15 for Friday and Saturday and can be purchased by calling the box office at 244-3633, or Ticketmaster at 883-7800.

l l l

On Monday, at 7:30 p.m. in Woodward Hall, David Dunaway will give a lecture about the history of Route 66, based on his radio series airing on public radio stations nationwide.

l l l

The Richard Levy Gallery is presenting “Organically Grown,” an exhibition of selected organic paintings by New Mexican artist Fredrick Hammersley. This body of work emerged in the mid-1970s and extends over decades to the mid-1990s. The show runs through Aug. 4, with an artist reception held on July 20 from 5-9 p.m. The Richard Levy Gallery is located at 514 Central Ave., S.W. Gallery hours are Tuesday to Saturday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and by appointment. For more information call info@levygallery.com.

l l l

Studios Gallery introduces Sandra Humphries latest watercolors and, for the first time, her artist’s studies beginning July 21. Studios Gallery is located at Suite 610, 601 West Frontage Rd., Algodones at Budaghers Street on 25, exit 257. Hours are Sunday through Wednesday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Thursday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.. For more information call 771-3700.

l l l

“El Papel del Papel/The Role of Paper: Affirmation and Identity in Chicano and Boricua Art” is an exhibition of 110 works by 56 Chicano and Puerto Rican artists. The exhibit explores the role of paper as an accessible, powerful, democratic medium and is curated by Pedro Rodr°guez and Antonio Martorell.

The exhibition is at the National Hispanic Cultural Center, located at 1701 4th St., S.W. The Museum is open Tuesdays through Sundays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.. Admission is $3 for adults, $2 for seniors and free for children ages 16 and under.

For more information, call 246-2261.