Arts in Brief

The International Library of Poetry is accepting submissions for their International Open Poetry Contest. To enter, send one original poem, 20 lines or less on any subject and in any style to The International Library of Poetry, Suite 19912, 1 Poetry Plaza, Owing Mills, Md., 21117. Each entry must be accompanied by the poet’s name and address, which should appear at the top of the page. Submissions must be postmarked or sent via e-mail by Oct 31. For more information, go to www.poetry.com.

***

The Maxwell Museum of Anthropology will host its monthly arts and crafts demonstration on Saturday from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. This month’s demonstration, “Native Southwest Agricultural & Medicinal Plants and their Uses,” by Brent Baker shows the art of how to nurture and use native plants in your own garden.

***

On Friday, Insurgo will be hosting $5 film night. The film this week will be “Projexorcism 16mm.” Insurgo is on 3904-A Central Ave. SE.

***

The Baila! Baila! Dance Company invites you to come and experience the music and color of Mexico in their dance performance on Saturday from 7-9 p.m. The event will be at the UNM Continuing Education Auditorium, 1634 University Blvd. NE. Tickets are $8 for adults, $5 for seniors, students and children under 12. Tickets can be purchased at the door, or a Baila! Baila!, Inc., 2801 Girard Blvd. NE. For more information, call 880-1488.

Tickets for the Fourth Annual Native American Music Awards go on sale on Friday through Ticketmaster. Prices are $40, $30 and $20, with special VIP tickets available through the awards office by calling (212) 228-8300. The ceremony will be held Saturday, Oct. 20 at the Sandia Casino Amphitheater, I-25 and Tramway Road. NE.

***

UNM’s Department of Theater and Dance is holding auditions for their fall production of Luis Santeiro’s play, “Our Lady of The Tortilla.” Auditions will be held on Saturday and Sunday, with the play running from Sept. 28-Oct. 6. For more information, call Paul Ford at 256-8557.