B.R.M.C. fuse subtle lyrics, subdued noise

Self-titled debut bridges the gap between ’60s psychedelia, punk rock

The self-titled debut album from the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, also known as B.R.M.C., produces an ethereal sound. It is truly an essential rock ‘n’ roll album — darkly provocative with white noise that infiltrates the mind.

The heavy power chords are carefully distorted, creating noise that is melodic and original, and the band’s mysterious lyrics manage to find their way into the listener’s subconscious. B.R.M.C. don’t over-exemplify their sound, but rather they take it to the edge — giving the listener an experience he or she will not forget.

B.R.M.C. takes their name from Marlon Brando’s motorcycle gang in the classic ’50s film “The Wild One.”

The San Francisco-based trio, which formed in 1998, is reminiscent of the ‘60s psychedelic era as well as British rock — challenging the listener to open his or her mind and become one with the music. B.R.M.C. produced and wrote all the songs on their debut album, which are strong lyrically and emotionally. The songs are hypnotic and can put the listener into a trance. Members Peter Hayes and Robert Turner lay their raspy, emotional voices to the tracks, producing an energy that gives each song an extra burst of musical power.

“Red Eyes and Tears,” the second track, begins slow, then steadily swells into a crescendo of power chords. “Red Eyes and Tears” is a song about the chaotic nature of love. In it, B.R.M.C. express themselves by mesmerizing the listener: “Red eyes and tears/No more for you my love I feel/No more feel/No more feel/I’m in love.”

The distortion of “Head up High,” track ten, releases the emotional strength of B.R.M.C. Throughout the song, B.R.M.C. evokes a reaction within the listener with the distorted, powerful music. As the song climaxes, Hayes releases the truth behind the song: “I keep my head up high to ease my mind of all these true sensations.”

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club’s debut album is a true source of power and originality. The distortion is not overwhelming, but rather is used with expertise to render the full emotional balance of each song. B.R.M.C. have put together an album that will not fall off the face of the earth, but one that will emerge as a classic in the future.