Chile, dancers to greet students

Food ranging from green chile stew to ice cream, local bands and student organizations recruiting members are a few of the things that will greet new and returning students during Welcome Back Days.

The Student Activities Office sponsors the annual event that kicks off the fall semester.

?We really want to reach out to everyone on campus and make them feel welcome as they return to school or come to UNM for the first time,? said Ryan Lindquist, who organized this year?s event. ?Our main goal obviously is to get students information about the many different student organizations and resources available on campus. We want to let them know that the UNM experience is more than just time in the classroom.?

This year?s calendar boosts more activities and a change of venue.

?With the Student Union Building under construction, we are moving the events to the Duck Pond area,? Lindquist said. ?It?s a great, high traffic area and Welcome Back Days used to be held there several years ago, so it should be a nice return to an old tradition. We?re also building to that old tradition though, by trying to include some poetry readings and possibly even belly dancers.?

The festivities start Saturday, Aug. 18, with Fan Photo Night. Students and community members are invited to the UNM Football Stadium for free pizza, hotdogs, drinks and other food from 6- 9 p.m. They are then invited to watch the football team?s first full scrimmage of the fall from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Following the scrimmage, fans are invited to spread blankets on the field to watch ?Gladiator.?

?We are hoping that we can show the movie on the new replay screen that will be part of the scoreboard, but if that?s not ready in time, we?ll set up a huge screen on the field,? Lindquist said.

The Pepsi Class Crawl is the next event on Sunday, Aug. 19, and starts at La Posada dining hall. Free Pepsi will be provided to students and mentors will help them find their classrooms. Tours will run from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 5-7 p.m.

?This is great for new students because we don?t want them to get lost on the first day,? Lindquist said. ?These won?t just be tours to buildings, they?ll actually go to the classrooms. We?re also happy that the UNM Bookstore will be open that day from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. It?s not normally open on Sundays, so that will be really nice.?

During the first week of school, the main events will run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the UNM Duck Pond.

Monday, Aug. 20, is the President?s Ice Cream Social. University administrators, including President Bill Gordon, will serve ice cream to students, faculty and staff. Live music will be played throughout the week at noon at the Cactus Garden southwest of Zimmerman Library. Departments and schools will offer information about opportunities for students.

?The concerts will run all week, and if they go well, we may have those during the rest of the semester,? Lindquist said.

Tuesday, Aug. 21, Living Well Day. The event will feature pi§atas, a climber?s practice wall, prizes, food and live entertainment. Safety, health, wellness and recreation departments also will offer information during the event.

Wednesday, Aug. 22, Women?s and Culture Day. Representatives from UNM?s ethnic, cultural and women?s center will offer information about their programs and departments. Wednesday also features a long-standing tradition of Welcome Back Days ? free green chile stew.

Thursday, Aug. 23, is Student Organization Day. Student leaders will meet with students and offer information on getting involved in a variety of organizations. ASUNM representatives will serve free pizza and Pepsi on main campus and alumni will serve food to students at the north campus plaza.

Friday, Aug. 24 is Exploring New Frontiers Day. UNM staff and community organizations will offer job and volunteer information. Alumni will serve free hotdogs and Pepsi.

Lindquist said Student Activities also is sponsoring Welcome Back Nights from 4-6 p.m. at the Duck Pond to offer information to nontraditional students.

?We?ll have things geared toward commuter students and more fun events to welcome them back to campus,? he said. ?We just want everyone to have a great time and to get connected.?