AIDS Walk to hit UNM

New Mexico AIDS Services hopes to raise $150,000 to fund outreach

New Mexico AIDS Services is expecting more than 2,500 walkers to help it raise $150,000 Saturday during its 10th Annual AIDS Walk, which begins at 8 a.m. at Johnson Field.

“Anyone is welcome to join us on this walk, and we encourage people to make donations or raise them, but there are no registration fees or requirements — we just appreciate the support,” said Maggie Smith, a representative of New Mexico AIDS Services.

Smith said one of the reasons why the event is at Johnson Field and is in September rather than August this year is to build on strong student support. Several sororities, fraternities and the undergraduate student government will be participating in the AIDS Walk.

“We want students to know that they are welcome to come out and join us,” Smith said. “While this is a fund-raiser, it also is important for our clients. We have a lot of clients who will be there Saturday, and we want them to see that there are people who support them in fighting against this devastating disease.”

The event begins on Johnson Field with registration and breakfast, provided by Einstein Bros. Bagels, Wild Oats and Starbucks.

John Mason of KOB-TV Channel 4, Mayor Jim Baca and Jill Klinger of M.A.C. Comsetics, this year’s title sponsor, will speak to walkers at 9 a.m. Defined Fitness will then lead the walkers in warm up exercises.

M.A.C. Cosmetics is the title sponsor because 100 percent of the proceeds from their Viva Glam Lipstick line goes to the M.A.C. AIDS fund, Smith said.

The group will then head east on Redondo Road to Yale Boulevard, which they will use to cross Central Avenue and head east to Washington Boulevard. The group will then turn around and head back to Johnson Field.

Four Simmons Media radio stations will be distributing water to participants during the event. Other sponsors will have tents on Johnson Field and will offer information to participants following the walk.

“After the walk we’ll announce the teams that raised the most money,” Smith said. “Last year our top team raised almost $20,000, which puts a lot of pressure on this year’s corporate groups.”

New Mexico AIDS Services will also offer HIV testing at the event and Hepatitis A and B vaccinations.

“We’ll have six nurses and several health education specialists on hand providing a lot of really good information for anyone who stops by,” Smith said.

The walk is New Mexico AIDS Services’ biggest fund-raiser of the year and proceeds fund the organization’s community services, which include counseling for AIDS patients, a food bank, AIDS prevention education, outreach programs, HIV testing and a speakers’ bureau.

“We provide comprehensive services for men, women, children and their families and loved ones,” Smith said. “The AIDS Walk does so much for us in terms of raising money and really increasing our exposure. We get a lot of coverage from it and people get to know what we’re all about. It’s a great thing, and it gets bigger and better every year because more people in the community come out and show their support.”