Forums to take new looks at recent terrorist attacks

Objectivist, Muslims to speak at UNM about their perspectives on U.S., Islam

The University is offering two events today that will take yet another look at the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the East Coast.

The UNM Objectivist Society is sponsoring a lecture by radio talk show host and philosopher Andrew Lewis at 4:30 p.m. in Room 120 of Dane Smith Hall.

The Aquinas Newman Center, which is across the street from Dane Smith Hall on Las Lomas Road, is sponsoring a forum at 7 p.m. in its auditorium featuring guest speakers Shaikh Mahmoud Sulaimar and Professor Mohamed El-Genk.

The two will discuss the tenets of Islam.

Both events are free.

Lewis' lecture, titled "Terrorism and the Moral Failure of America's Foreign Policy," will center on the principles of moral responsibility and the role the United States played leading up to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on East Coast, according to his Web site.

Lewis has taken graduate courses in philosophy at the Objectivist Graduate Center, the University of Southern California and the University of Melborne in Australia.

He has a bachelor's degree in education and graduate diplomas in philosophy from the University of Melborne.

He also is a senior writer for the Ayn Rand Institute and his articles have been published in newspapers such as the Los Angeles Times and the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Lewis' lecture is based on the objectivist principles of author and philosopher Ayn Rand.

The second campus event, which is at the Aquinas Newman Center, will focus on teaching people more about Islam.

Father Bob Keller, O.P., said the event is geared toward helping the UNM community better understanding the way Muslims live.

"We want to encourage as many people as possible, especially students, to come and see what Islamic principles are all about," Keller said.

Sulaimar, a leader in the Albuquerque Islamic community, is a Muslim scholar and will be speaking with the help of an interpreter.

El-Genk is a regents' professor in mechanical engineering at the University and adviser for the UNM Muslim Student Association.

Staff Report