Musical tours `years' of Broadway favorites

Production takes a trip down memory lane with singing, dancing classics

Truth be told, only a good show will have the audience wanting to sing along during the opening number. The Albuquerque Little Theatre's production of "100 Years of Broadway, 66 years off Central" does just that.

"100 Years" is a musical tour of the history of both Broadway and the Albuquerque Little Theatre.

A musical revue can easily grow dull, but "100 Years" avoided this fate with superb song placement and selection. Librettist Terry Davis and Music Director John Clark put together a fabulous script and musical arrangement for "100 Years" with only the best Broadway tunes making it into the show.

With this in mind, it only makes it harder to admit that the choreography was a bit flat. The cast was obviously selected with vocal abilities in mind and a few dance numbers were truly interesting or well done.

However, it should be noted that choreographer Lana Kroth did a fine job with what little dance talent the cast had.

The cast sang and danced its way from 1900 to 2001 with enthusiasm. The performers worked together beautifully.

In light of Aylworth's tremendous talent, Albuquerque theater-goers are encouraged to see Aylworth perform before he hits Broadway.

"I Remember it Well," a beautiful duet performed masterfully by Gene Ives and Carmoline Grady, was pure magic. A synchronized troupe of chorus girls moved in and out of their various scenes with verve and skill - their rendition of Cabaret's "Mein Herr" caught everyone's eye.

Michael and Laurie Finnegan brought down the house with their performance of "Nobody's Perfect." Also lighting up the stage were Jillian Foster's sultry "Daddy" and the company's rendition of "Too Darn Hot."

"100 Years" hit a few low notes. The song, "Standing on the Corner," objectifies women, while soloists Eric Trujillo and David Waldron both had a surprisingly off night.

"100 Years" runs through Sept. 30 at the Albuquerque Little Theater, 224 San Pasquale Ave. SW. Tickets can be purchased at the ALT box office, which can be reached at 242-4750.