TRL stop draws sellout crowd

Destiny’s Child plays a sold-out audience at the Journal Pavilion

With more than 20 million of the group’s records sold and songs such as “Survivor” and “Bootylicious” topping music charts, it’s no secret that Destiny’s Child is well-known by New Mexico pop music fans.

Regardless of internal strife and the replacement of group members, the changes seemed to have had little impact on the Texas trio’s success.

Saturday night, Beyoncä Knowles, Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams, better known collectively as Destiny’s Child, appeared on the stage of the Journal Pavilion in their gold glittered daisy duke shorts and belly button revealing tops, as the sold out crowd of 12,000 screaming fans echoed through the arena when the beats of “Independent Women, Part I” began to play.

“I think it’s about time that Albuquerque gets a concert like this,” said DJ Big Mona of KYLZ, Wild 106.

Yellow smiley-faced balloons, confetti, fake money thrown into the crowd by St. Lunatics and a pyrotechnics show, were all part of the TRL Tour. The four-hour concert was mostly filled with glommed-up preteens wearing their best pop star outfits, hair neatly braided, with just a touch of glitter and lipstick.

“I am excited to see Destiny’s Child because they are really great singers,” said Antoinette Jackson, 9, of Wherry Elementary School. “I think the best part of the concert was when 3LW came out and pretended to be (escapees) from jail.”

Earlier, the cool breezy evening was filled with joy and voices of audience members singing along to some of their favorite lyrics from opening acts such as: “What would you do?” by City High, “Playas goin play,” by 3LW, “Blow ya mind,” by Eve and “Ride wit me,” by Nelly with the St. Lunatics.

“I thought (the concert) was good,” said Willard Anderson, a recent UNM graduate. “I thought it was visually entertaining…. Destiny’s Child was my favorite portion of the concert, but I really came to see Eve.”

Christina Baca, a Bernalillo High School student, saw the concert as a huge success and said she hopes that the future will bring more concerts like the TRL Tour to Albuquerque.

“Destiny’s Child is my favorite group in the whole wide world,” she said. “They are so cool and I love them!”