Irish writers, artists to be featured at local festival

UNM's English Department is sponsoring "The Irish Renaissance, 1890-1932," a festival including a lecture series and several plays that runs until Nov. 12.

The program is made possible in part by a grant from the New Mexico Endowment for the Humanities.

The Irish Renaissance was a cultural awakening that paralleled the movement toward national independence in Ireland between 1890 and 1932, according to a press release about the festival.

Irish writers and artists rediscovered and made their traditions of language, myth, legend and folklore known apart from the English, and celebrated the beauty of the Irish landscape, the press release said. They also founded a national theater and created new poems and plays, it said.

Here are this month's events:

l Oct. 1: Lecture: "From Renaissance to Revolution: The Politics of Culture in Ireland, 1880-1916," Elizabeth Cullingford (University of Texas at Austin), Anthropology Lecture Room 163, UNM Campus, 7 p.m.

Reception following lecture with refreshments and music by Celtic harpist, Michele Buchanan, at Jonson Gallery, 1909 Las Lomas Rd. NE.

l Oct 1-30: Exhibition: "The Irish Renaissance, 1890-1932." Photographs, books, posters and other artifacts from UNM collections. Jonson Gallery, Tuesday to Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Tuesday 5-8 p.m.

l Oct. 5: Performance: "Myths and Bards: An Irish Evening." The Maya Sutton Players present an evening of Irish myth, poetry, storytelling and music. 7:30 p.m. at Humanities Building Room 108.

l Oct. 15: Lecture: "Staging Ireland: Contested Images from the Revival to the Rising," Nicholas Grene (Trinity College, Dublin). Anthropology Lecture Room 163, 7 p.m.

Reception following lecture with refreshments and music by Celtic harpist, Michele Buchanan, at Jonson Gallery

l Oct. 19-21 Irish Film Weekend: "Michael Collins," directed by Neil Jordan. An adaptation of Frank O'Connor's biography. "The Big Fellow," starring Liam Neeson, Aidan Quinn and Julia Roberts. 2018 Center for the Arts, UNM Campus, at 7 p.m.; Saturday at 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. and Sunday at 7 p.m.

l A "Love Divided," Best Film, Monte Carlo Film Festival. A Protestant-Catholic couple divide over the question of their children's education. Center for the Arts, Friday 9 p.m., Saturday 7 p.m. and Sunday at 5 and 9 p.m.

l Oct. 25: Forum: "The Literature of the Irish Renaissance." UNM graduate students present papers on Irish Renaissance writing. Discussion and refreshments will follow. Jonson Gallery at noon.

l Oct. 28: Irish Folk Music featuring The Heirlooms, Kelly's Brewpub from 5-7 p.m.

l Oct. 29: Lecture: "Music and Politics: The Arts and Irish Rebellion," Zack Bowen (University of Miami) Anthropology Lecture Room 163 at 7 p.m.

Reception following lecture with refreshments and music by Celtic harpist, Michele Buchanan at Jonson Gallery.

l Oct. 31-Nov.3: Performance: "Spreading the News" and "Hyacinth Halvey": two one-act plays by Augusta Lady Gregory. Music by Celtic harpist, Michele Buchanan. Theatre X, 7:30 p.m.

Staff Report