Sputtering UNM volleyball team faces key home game

The UNM volleyball team might be facing its most important game of the season when it plays the Air Force Academy at Johnson Arena tonight at 7 p.m.

The Lobos are coming off a disappointing 3-0 defeat at the hands of Northern Arizona University on Tuesday, losing their 10th consecutive match to fall to 2-10 on the season.

"We absolutely have to win this one for us, if there is any light at the end of the tunnel," head coach Tom Peterson said. "This is a big one; we will remember this one."

Air Force is also in the midst of its own losing streak, which stands at nine games.

The Lobos will have to contain the Falcons' best player in 5-foot-10-inch sophomore Delavane Diaz, who leads the Falcons with 140 kills on the year.

"We are going to look at what our best match-up is against her," Peterson said. "We will see who is going to block her and that will probably be the most important match-up."

So far this year, the Lobos have shown their youth and inexperience with numerous costly mistakes. The Lobos have committed 272 errors, which is tops in the Mountain West Conference.

"We need to play together as a team," junior Kelly Griffin said. "We need to pass, serve and communicate better, then we will beat Air Force."

The Lobos are hoping to use this game as a turning point in a disappointing season.

"We are a third way done with our schedule," Griffin said. "Now that all that is behind us, it is time to win."

With UNM returning home after a two-week absence, the players and coaches are looking for a loud and supportive crowd Friday night.

"You want to still feel that support," Peterson said. "When we are down like we are, to have people come out, support us and see good volleyball and not just shun us; it is a real character builder for our team."