Students can still charter their group

Activites office provides UNM support for organizations

A bumper crop of more than 30 student groups applied for charters this semester, which may be a UNM record.

Chartering a student organization is an easy way to get a space to meet, a mailbox, visibility and possible funding. But there are several steps to take before a group can be officially recognized by the University.

"Anybody can make a group, we welcome it," Student Activities Director Debbie Morris said. "It's a great way to connect with the University, and we're glad to help them."

An organization can be chartered any time of the year, but groups that do not charter within the first four weeks do not get published in the Campus Guide to Chartered Student Organizations.

There are three steps to chartering a student organization.

Two officers must attend a Chartering Workshop, which are sponsored by the Student Activities Center. They are brief overviews of the policies and procedures, as well as services available to chartered groups.

The group must fill out and submit a UNM Chartered Student Organization application form, available at the Student Activities Center.

Along with the application, the group must submit a copy of its current constitution and by-laws.

The rules for chartering stipulate that the group must be made up of a majority of students, the officers have to be students and the group cannot discriminate against members for any reason other than grades.

The group also must have a faculty adviser.

"The adviser is there to provide consistency," Morris said. "If the officers turn over, the adviser should have organizational memory and can help the transition. It's someone to be the connection to the University."

For more information about chartering a student organization, visit the Student Activities Office Web site at www.unm.edu/~sac.