Today's menu: choose from three events during lunch

The UNM community can attend an anti-violence event, soul food cookout or concert all at lunchtime today near Zimmerman Library.

Students, faculty and staff are invited to join the Women's Resource Center for a symbolic whistle-blowing event to confront violence against women in all its forms.

People also will have a chance to express their thoughts and feelings on the subject through an art project called "Joining the Voices of Women." The center will offer violence prevention and safety information.

The event runs from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. under the trees north of the Student Union Building. For more information, call 277-3716.

The Black Student Union is sponsoring a soul food cookout from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. near the Student Union Building tent. The group is using the event as a fund-raiser to support other activities it works on throughout the year.

The menu includes chicken, black-eye peas, greens, corn bread, sweet potato pie and a soft drink for $5 a plate.

"The proceeds let us do conferences and our adopt-a-family programs for Christmas to give the families presents and make them dinner," said Angela Green, president of Black Student Union.

Green said the event will allow the organization to do more community events.

Student Special Events, an executive ASUNM agency, is sponsoring a concert by Natalie Wattre from noon to 1 p.m. in the Cactus Garden south of Zimmerman Library.

Wattre is a self-taught singer and songwriter, and her band's style includes both a folk and alternative sound.

Student Special Events representatives say they hope to hold noon concerts in the Cactus Garden every Wednesday.

Staff Report