Open House, massages to be offered at health center

The Student Health Center is sponsoring an open house and free 15-minute massages this week to help ring in the holidays and ease students into finals week.

The health center will have a holiday traditions open house Wednesday from noon to 3 p.m. on its second floor. The event includes displays about Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Ramadan, Las Posadas, Diwali and Christmas.

In addition to the information about different seasonal religious holidays, the center will offer some traditional food associated with the events.

"We've actually done this for our staff and always kept it in house," said John Maguire, a health center staff member who coordinated the event. "This year we just decided it would be nice to share it with the public and open it up to the community."

In addition to the information, the event will include videos about Hanukkah and Kwanzaa.

"We just wanted to do something informational as well as festive," Maguire said. "We've never done this for the community before, so we hope people come."

The Student Health Center also is sponsoring what has become a pre-finals week staple at UNM - the "Final Rubout."

The Peer Educators Program has gathered UNM and community massage therapists to give students free massages Wednesday and Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Room 155 of the Student Health Center.

Students are required to bring their student identification, fill out a questionnaire and sign up for a massage time. They can then return for their free 15-minute rubdown.

"This is event is set up to provide free massages and let people know about the services the Student Health Center has to offer, which includes massages," said Athena Spencer, a UNM student who coordinating the "Final Rubout."

Spencer said the health center provides a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere for students.

"I encourage people to come because it will really let them unwind before finals and it's free," she said.

For more information, call 277-4468 about the open house and 277-7947 about the massages.

Staff Report