Campus Briefs

The Management Development Center at UNM's Anderson Schools of Management is offering an updated Quality Management Certificate Program this semester.

The program, designed for CEOs, business executives, mid-level managers and employees committed to improving their organizations, is a 12-week course that helps prepare participants for changes in today's global marketplace.

The program's curriculum has been updated and three new instructors have been added. New modules on Leading for Performance Excellence, Valuing Your Human Capital and Examining Performance Excellence in Action have been developed and will be taught by Maureen Baca, Eric Collins and Sherry Prud'homme.

The course will help identify and assess quality on a wide range of business indicators. The noncredit certificate program provides people with the opportunity for personal and professional development without being formally admitted or enrolled at the University.

The Quality Management Certificate Program will be Tuesdays from 6-9 p.m. beginning Feb. 26 and continuing through May 14 at the State Bar of New Mexico in Journal Center. Early registration is recommended. For a free brochure or to register, call 277-2525.

-------

Robert E. Carlson, executive director of UNM's Gallup branch since September 1995, recently announced he will leave his position by February to become president of Chabot College in Hayward, Calif.

Carlson said in a University statement that his accomplishments at the UNM Gallup Branch include connecting the campus and community, implementing a construction program that nearly doubled the size of the campus, building a community foundation and the development of an award-winning planning process.

Before coming to UNM, Carlson held various teaching and administrative positions with the San Diego Community College District; Miramar College, San Diego; City College, San Diego; Southern West Virginia Community College; and the Illinois Department of Education in Chicago.

He earned his doctorate in education and business administration from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in Blacksburg, Va., in 1976; his master's and bachelor's degrees from Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, Ill.; and his associate's degree from the School of Technical Careers, also at Southern Illinois University.

UNM Provost Brian Foster said he will name an interim director for the UNM Gallup Branch in the near future and will initiate a search for a permanent director during the spring semester.