Campus Briefs

The UNM Pre-Law Chapter of Phi Alpha Delta is having an open house tonight at 7 p.m. in the Kiva to recruit students who are interested in attending law school.

Phi Alpha Delta is an organization that includes co-ed, pre-law students, law students, legal educators, attorneys, judges and government officials.

Matthew Ray, president of the pre-law chapter, said the organization wants to help students get into law school.

"We are a service-based organization. We're dedicated to serving the student, the school, the profession and the community," he said.

Students who become members of the organization will have the chance to speak with the UNM Law School admissions and financial aid directors in February.

......

Yvonee Pe§a, student affairs specialist within the Dean of Students, recently received the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators Region IV-West Outstanding New Professional award.

Recipients of the award must have been in the profession less than five years, must be an association member and must have made significant contributions to their campus, the regional organization and the profession.

Pe§a is the association's Region IV-West chair for women in student affairs and is a Division of Student Affairs intern.

She received her bachelor's in communication and journalism at UNM and her master's of science in student affairs administration in higher education from Texas A&M University.

......

Registration is underway for UNM's fourth annual Taos Summer Writers' Conference sponsored by the Creative Writing Program and the Department of English.

The conference is set for July 13-19 at the Sagebrush Conference Center.

Tuition for weekend courses is $235 and $485 covers weeklong workshops.

To reserve a space in a workshops a non-refundable deposit of $100 for weekend courses, $150 for weeklong workshops and $200 for combined weekend and weeklong registration is required.

The conference will offer workshops in fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, travel writing, memoir, nature writing, publishing, comedy writing and autobiographical fiction.

Conference participants may apply for scholarships after completing registration.

Applications for five merit-based scholarships - two for poetry, two for fiction and one for a Taos resident - are due May 15.

Applications for the D.H. Lawrence Fellowship for emerging writers are due April 15.