New GoMotorCar album a dark, pensive delight

GoMotorCar provides much needed relief from the hoards of the annoying pop-infiltrated songs of the past year with their dark, eerie sound.

The band, consisting of Dagmar Andrews, Joego, Lenny D'Wayne and Aaron Thorne, are all veterans of the Albuquerque music scene, each bringing something different to the table while producing some of the best local music.

Following up their 2001 release, Thanks for Sharing My Head, the band's 2002 release, When I Feel--Sometimes I--, feels more like an extension of the debut album rather than a follow-up.

The band has created a sound that incorporates many musical genres, but still manages to sound original. Most albums consisting of only six songs could be thought of as disappointments, but the band packs such a big punch in each song that the length of the album is overlooked.

From beginning to end the vocals of Lenny D'Wayne and Aaron Thorne bounce off the walls, while the guitars of the vocalists, the bass of Joego and the drums of Dagmar Andrews feed into each song, producing differently intricate rhythmic sections. Each is like a wave, ebbing and flowing, only finding rest when it crashes on the shore.

"Something New to Talk About," the second track on When I Feel--Sometimes I--, is one of the more powerful songs on the album. The line, "Wish there was something to make it more real," is delivered with such vivid emotion that the listener begins to feel the pain of the song. With the use of hard guitar and melodic bass lines, the instruments begin to have a voice of their own; each element of the song continually gains momentum, creating rhythms that are forceful and lucid.

GoMotorCar will be rocking the desert, if not the rest of the country, for some time. Their sophomore album, When I Feel--Sometimes I--, is already one of the best releases of the short year and shows no signs of losing that status. Every song on the album is inspired and original, creating a fine showcase of what Duke City has to offer.

Tomorrow, beginning at 9 p.m., the group will perform at the Launchpad with Pilot to Bombarbier, Unit 7 Drain and Second in Command. The show is only $5, which also includes the cost of the CD.

Check out GoMotorCar and see for yourself what local talent really is.