Arndt brings confidence to the court

Flanagan calls feshman 'best post-defender we have'

When freshman Lindsey Arndt was being recruited to play college basketball last year, she knew one thing was for certain - she was not going to play for the UNM women's basketball program.

A closer look at the Lobo program, however, changed her mind, and Arndt has been staking her claim to it ever since.

The former Sandia High School standout yearned to attend a university outside of the state of New Mexico. She had no plans to follow in her parents' tracks and go to UNM.

"I was like, 'I will never come here; my parents went here -- no way,'" she said. "Actually, before any of my visits I swore to everybody that I would not come to UNM. Even on my first day of my visit here, I swore I wasn't going to come here."

But her decision quickly changed once she saw the atmosphere and the commitment for a successful basketball program.

"After the visit, I tried to visualize where I could see myself playing and if I would get homesick," Arndt said. "I was like, 'This is a great program, this is a great facility and the community is great.' Overall everything just fit in the best here."

Head coach Don Flanagan is very happy that Arndt decided to be a part of the UNM women's basketball team.

"I really wanted her to be a Lobo," he said. "I felt she was versatile. She was a player that could go outside and inside. I think, with work, she has the potential to be a really outstanding player. I am very thankful that she came here."

Arndt has not disappointed her coach or her teammates. The only people she has annoyed is the opposition. She averages 7.5 points a game, and places third on the team and 12th in the Mountain West Conference in rebounding with 5.6 per game.

Flanagan says that he knew he was getting a very talented player in Arndt, he just didn't know she would be this good so quickly.

"She's just a kid that has a lot of tools before she even starts. Whatever she does skill-wise will determine how good she becomes," he said. "She really is a talent. She and, of course, all of the freshmen have helped us have a great season so far."

She has played in all 28 games this season, starting 27 of them. She has posted two double-doubles, including a 14-point and 17-rebound performance in only her fifth collegiate game.

Although she may be a pain to opponents on the hardwood, freshman guard Brittany Wolfgang says Arndt is always making someone laugh off the court.

"She can always help you out if you have problems," she said. "She's real confident in herself and she brings that among everyone else. She is just a great teammate to have."

After having helped UNM to one of its most successful regular seasons in school history, Arndt said she is ready to make a big impact in the conference tournament this week.

"My goal is to play very good every single game, because I know we have a game every day. I don't want to get tired," she said. "I want to be consistent through the tournament."

Flanagan said he is ready to see his young power forward excel this week and provide a lift for the Lobos.

"She's the best post defender that we have, rebounding, defending their best post player and running the floor," he said. "She'll help us in many, many ways."