Play focuses on fame, religion in post-war era

Just in time for Easter, the Podium Players present the drama "Patricio, El Penitente" at the Menaul School Theater.

The play explores the life of Patricio, a man who grew up within the culture of Los Penitentes, a Catholic brotherhood found only in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado that perform processions of personal and community penance during Lent.

70-year-old Patricio, played by Ron Tafoya, tells his life story, seen as a series of post-World War II flashbacks set in the fictional town of Tres Cruces. After the clichÇ realization that a better life exists outside of his small town, Patricio tries to convince his family and girlfriend, Rosana, played by Rene Garcia, of the benefits of leaving Tres Cruces.

Against their wishes, young Patricio, played by Antonio Reyna, leaves them behind and heads to California to earn a college degree and pursue a career in journalism, following what he calls his destiny.

After a successful career in Los Angeles, Patricio returns to Tres Cruces to embrace the Penitente tradition and religious journey he left behind, as well as marry Rosana as he promised. He discovers that she has made her own religious journey.

Refreshingly true to life, "Patricio, el Penitente" was written by Jo Roybal Izay, a native New Mexican. Izay says the play is a great opportunity for people to get a taste of life in post-World War II New Mexico.

"After the war, opportunities opened up for people of the northern villages," she said. "Once people began to see that there was life beyond the acequia, it changed their mentality and they wanted to see and do more."

In Patricio's desire to move back home, he demonstrates the value the Penitente culture places on family and religion. This play is a lesson on the role of those values and how they helped shape the history of New Mexico.

"Patricio, El Penitente" opens Friday at the Menaul School Theater, 301 Menaul Blvd. NE. Performances are Friday and Saturday and March 29 and 30 at 7:30 p.m. with a matinee performance on Sunday, March 24. Call 255-8095 for more information.