UNM parking starts car safety campaign

Parking and Transportation Services is beginning a new safety campaign that the department says will inform students of ways to keep their vehicles safe while on campus.

Starting today, bright orange fliers will be placed on car windows across campus by department employees to address ways to keep thieves from breaking into cars.

The employee placing the leaflet will note if any of the suggested safety guidelines are not being followed and will suggest ways to keep your belongings secure.

Hazards against the guidelines include unlocked doors, windows that are not rolled up, backpacks or purses on the seat and CDs, cash, credit cards or other valuables in plain view.

Josh Kavanagh, spokesperson for Parking and Transportation Services, said the safety campaign is important because it makes people aware of situations that lure thieves.

"We have noticed some students are not locking doors and taking other precautions that will protect their valuables," he said.

Kavanagh said that during the past six months, reported parking lot crimes such as stolen stereos and broken windshields have decreased.

"We aren't doing this safety campaign because of any increase in crime, but we are simply doing it to point out procedures that students are doing that may not be safe," he said. "We are looking out for the motorists who park on campus."

But the department will not be banning passengers from riding shuttles unless they are seated.

"It's a completely false rumor," Kavanagh said. "We have not implemented any new policies on the shuttles regarding students not being allowed to ride unless they sit."

Kavanagh said he wasn't sure how the rumor began. He said it might have been a miscommunication between shuttle supervisors and shuttle drivers or between shuttle drivers and passengers. University policy allows passengers may stand in the aisle if they hold handrails.