Women's program improving

When UNM women's head basketball coach Don Flanagan took the helm of the dormant program seven years ago, success seemed far-fetched. But after several break-through seasons, expectations are high for the improving program.

Since Flanagan became head coach in 1995 after the Lobos had won only 14 games the previous four season years, he has turned the UNM program into a formidable team.

The Lobos have four 20-win seasons, six winning seasons and five postseason berths during the past seven years, including two NCAA Tournament appearances.

"Everybody that coach Flanagan recruits, they all want to get somewhere, they all want to work hard for each other and the coaches," senior Molly McKinnon said. "I credit that to him, and he has brought this program from the dumps to the NCAA Tournament."

Flanagan has a 144-72 record as the head coach and collected only one losing season, improving steadily in almost every season.

The most recent step forward was the program's first ever at-large berth in the NCAA Tournament this season when the team faced defending national champions University of Notre Dame.

"Ever since coach Flanagan has arrived, the level has increased every year; the level of talent, the level of competition is getting better and better," graduate assistant and former UNM player Katie Kern said. "You got to play these types of games against Notre Dame, against Tennessee to get better. That is just a test of how coach Flanagan and the girls have come to make this program better."

Flanagan said the at-large berth proves that UNM is beginning to be seen as a good program. He added that although the Lobos lost to Notre Dame 58-54, playing the Irish and playing at the University of Tennessee, which is arguably the best women's basketball program in the nation, will help.

"I think it is going to be beneficial in many, many different ways," Flanagan said. "First is recognition, national more than regional recognition playing the national champs."

Three other developments have boosted the women's basketball program.

The Lobos recorded their first winning season in seven years in 1997 with an 18-10 mark.

The program's first ever postseason berth in 1998 in the NCAA Tournament after winning the Western Athletic Conference Tournament championship.

Last season, UNM made a run through the Women's National Invitation tournament before losing in the championship game.

Flanagan said the next step for UNM is to start recruiting players from a wider geographical range to pick up more talented athletes and take the team beyond the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Kern, who played for Flanagan from 1995-1999, said the Lobos should have few problems recruiting outside of the Southwest because of the atmosphere and the fan support the program has built.

"When we get kids here on recruiting visits they see the fan support, the University support; everybody is behind this basketball team," she said. "It's just a great place to play, and I can see us where Tennessee is at in a couple of years."

The Lobos set a school record for attendance of 9,229 fans a game this year.

Kern, who played on the 1998 team that went to the NCAA Tournament, said that this year's success was a groundbreaking opportunity for the program, and will help people realize that UNM can reach the top more often.

"This year's tournament is going to make it a little bit more normal where every year we're expected to go (to the NCAA Tournament)," she said. "We're not looking at the NIT anymore, we're expected to go to the NCAA every year and I think that is not beyond our reach."