Bicycle Safety Day balances education with fun giveaways

Bike lovers can enter several contests during Bicycle Safety Day Wednesday at the Campus Mall between Popejoy Hall and Johnson Center from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The Student Health Center is sponsoring its annual event to promote bicycle safety awareness, inviting different UNM organizations and local companies to participate by donating free items and services to fulfill any biker's need.

Rose Whitehair, a Student Health Center peer educator, said that even though the event emphasizes the health, fitness and fun aspects of bike riding, the main purpose is to educate people about the dangers of bicycling.

"A lot of people get hurt and end up in the emergency room," Whitehair said. "I've had eight years of emergency room experience and quite a few patients come in from mountain bike accidents, smacking their heads on pavement because of not wearing a helmet."

She said that UNM community members who bike to work or class can be entered in a free drawing for a one-hour massage from the Student Health Center and free bike engraving, a precaution for if the bike is stolen.

Whitehair added that Albuquerque Transit would be visiting with its "Act Now, Bike" program and will show people how to load and unload a bike onto a bus, and the UNM recreational services bike shop will offer free tune-ups.

"If you need a bike tuned up, bring it on down," she said.

Several companies will contribute prizes and refreshments for the event, including Saggio's, Boston Market, Southwest Airlines, The New Mexico Touring Society and several casinos.

Prizes will be awarded to the winner of a slow bike ride contest, stressing biking safety by rewarding the person who rides the slowest through an obstacle course.

She added that other giveaways include identification tag holders, helmets and more sports-related items.

"We're just inviting everyone to come out and have fun at this event," Whitehair said.

She encouraged people to stop by, pick up free promotional items and win some prizes.

For more information, contact Whitehair at 277-3136.