Protestors will gather to greet Bush

Local groups have variety of complaints for president

A mass protest featuring several local groups will greet President George W. Bush as he arrives today for a lunch fund-raiser for U.S. Rep. Heather Wilson (R-NM) at noon.

Although Bush begins his brief visit in Albuquerque speaking about mental health benefits at the UNM Continuing Education Building at 10 a.m., his most prominent event will be to help build Wilson's re-election bid coffers at the Crowne Plaza Pyramid at 5151 San Francisco Rd. NE. And many people want to let the president in on their feelings covering a variety of issues, from the Enron scandal affecting the New Mexico teacher's pension plans to Bush's corporate stances.

Robin Phillips, a New Mexico Solidarity Network member, said plans to confront Bush have heated up since a confrontation with the Albuquerque Police Department during a protest Saturday, April 20. He said the police told the local television crew there to not televise the event.

"We're hoping to get as close to Bush as possible," Phillips said. "Last Saturday we really felt that our rights to speak were basically controlled and manipulated by the police department who obstructed the news media, who was on site."

Steve Drake, a UNM alumnus, said he feels Bush is unfriendly toward individuals or workers, but is more amenable toward corporations.

"I believe New Mexico lost a lot of money with the Enron scandal," he said.

Drake, co-chairman of the Jobs with Justice local chapter, added that his organization was formed to protect individuals who don't belong to large unions. He said the group members try to speak up for oppressed people and work loosely for all social and justice issues.

He said that Bush is not a people's president, and is not behaving the way a president should. Drake added that many groups from the Sierra Club to the Right For Lifers will present their issues.

"The Abuse and Justice Center is sponsoring a bus to take people out there," Drake said. "There's a lot of us that feel this way, but I can't speak for other organizations."

Drake added that people should show up by 11:15 a.m., but can arrive earlier.

"We're just hoping that people show up for a short time and make their voices heard," he said.

Drake said people need to begin taking control away from corporations because he feels corporations purchase politicians.

"If you took the money out of politics and started public financing of elections, we wouldn't have this problem," he said. "It would be people voting for people that they trust, instead of voting for people that were donated to by corporations."

For more information, contact Phillips at 220-8264.