Spring Storm ready to sweep Albuquerque

About 750 UNM students have signed up to participate in Saturday's Spring Storm, one of the largest student community service efforts in University history.

Although the event organizers' original goal was to bring in 1,000 volunteers, project director and law student Dathan Weems called the anticipated turnout a success.

"If people still want to be a part of this amazing event, then they are welcome to give us a call by Friday night or show up early on Saturday morning," Weems said.

Weems added that organizers have been busy during the past two weeks making sure last minute details are complete and all materials needed to complete the projects have been purchased and readied.

Some participants will be working at the Rio Grande Nature Center, Rio Grande Community Farm, Roosevelt Park and four community centers. Others will work at elementary schools and senior centers across Albuquerque.

UNM student Grant Nichols, event committee co-chairperson, said the event is well organized and is expected to run smoothly. Nichols said that participants will arrive at 8:30 a.m. at University Stadium and will be assigned a seat and wristband outlining their project and duties.

"Breakfast will be served while President Gordon gives a few remarks," Nichols said.

He added that a sack lunch will be provided for students to take to their assignments.

Nichols said projects will end around 4:30 p.m. and participants are invited back to the stadium for dinner and entertainment. He suggested that people wear comfortable clothing, shoes and a hat to block the sun.

Jennifer Onuska, committee co-chairperson, said she is looking forward to the event on Saturday but she wants Sunday to arrive so she can rest. She added that the organizers have put in about 10 hours a week since they decided to work on the project.

"We have been putting in a lot of hours the past few weeks to get this off and rolling, but I must admit that we are a little tired," Onuska said.

Weems said the long hours and sleepless nights are worth whatever the event's outcome ends up being.

"I may not be getting a lot of sleep at night, but on Sunday morning when I reflect on the previous day, it will all be worth it," he said.

For more information about Spring Storm, visit http://springstorm.unm.edu. or contact Onuska at 277-5528.