Mayer attracts audience with feeling

Songwriter's distnctive sound has smoky swagger

For anyone who's ever wanted to run through the halls of UNM and "scream at the top of their lungs or swim in a deep sea of blankets," here's the chance.

For John Mayer, singing a lyric like that can be just as fulfilling as the action.

"The very nature of standing in front of a mic with a guitar that's in tune, the millions of songs that could happen at that moment — I love that," Mayer said.

For any of you who feel that John Mayer's newest album Room For Squares sounds a lot like the last year of your life, it would be detrimental for you to miss Mayer's show Thursday at Santa Fe's Paolo Soleri Amphitheater.

On tour for Room for Squares, John Mayer has already attracted an audience and the love of close friend and musician Elton John.

In an interview between Mayer and John after the release of Room for Squares, John said what endeared him most to the album was the skillful musicianship — something that has been forgotten by many performers recently.

Room for Squares is Mayer's first full-band electric effort and is considerably different from his first collaboration in 1999, Inside Wants Out.

That album was made up mostly of songs that featured just Mayer and his guitar.

Mayer's repertoire has been labeled alternative music but his mature, warm guitar riffs mixed with the smoky swagger of his voice give him a very distinctive sound.

His music and voice evoke Sting, Dave Matthews and Jakob Dylan.

"I wanted to be listenable and play tunes that other people could play but not the way I play them," Mayer said. "When you can offer people that piece of you, that's what keeps them listening to you."

It is that dedication to his songs that inspires Mayer to keep writing. Already he has started work on his third album, something that he says Inside Wants Out was supposed to be in the first place.

For someone like Mayer all he can do is keep playing, because that is what makes him happy and makes his audience thirst for more.

John Mayer with special guest Guster will perform at the Paolo Soleri Amphitheater in Santa Fe, Thursday Aug. 22 at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets are $24 and available through Ticketmaster.