Theatre X season offers diversity

Experimental work the focus of student-run theater

Deep in the bowels of the Center for Fine Arts building, you will find the bastard offspring of the Theatre and Dance department, Theatre X.

The student-run theatre has existed quietly since its inception, but is now on the verge of breaking into the consciousness of the greater UNM community.

Six years ago UNM professor David Jones formed what would become the only student-run, experimental theatre in New Mexico. In that time the theatre has endured staff changes, funding problems and the occasional bad review.

But one thing remains clear, the theater's commitment to first-rate entertainment and cutting edge productions. Whether it's Shakespeare, opera, dance or even comedy - expect the unexpected from Theater X.

What is Theatre X all about? The people behind the theater promote opportunity, experimentation and visionary thinking. It is a platform for many aspiring playwrights, directors and thespians who otherwise may have to wait years to see one of their own plays in production or get the kind of hands on experience offered by the theatre.

"How did we end up with this luck?" asked Rafael Gallegos, vice president of the X Committee. "We are working at something that should be really subversive, but we are working at something we love."

The X Committee is the nickname for the governing body for the theatre. It is a branch of the Associated Students of Theatre and Dance and responsible for selecting what submissions are produced. Anyone can submit an idea that the committee will send through the selection process.

"We review the positives and negatives of each piece and how it fits into our artistic vision for the season," Gallegos said.

The theatre may be experimental, but don't expect to see amateur mistakes. Gallegos made it clear that it is a professionally run theatre and presents more productions per year than many theaters in New Mexico.

So what should be expected of a theatre X production?

"I wouldn't be surprised to hear some vulgarity or see some nudity in any given production," Gallegos said. "There's always something that has people talking, and people do walk out of productions, but we make no apologies."

Ticketing information for all Theatre X shows can be found by calling the UNM ticketing office at 277-4569, or visit www.tickets.com.