Life of former dean Robb celebrated

Artist remembered in music performance, photos

On Sunday, Sept. 15 the John Donald Robb Musical Trust and The Center for Southwest Research held a tribute to the late John Donald Robb, Dean of the College of Fine Arts from 1942-57.

It was a beautiful afternoon when the music of Robb was performed by contemporary New Mexican guitarist, vocalist and friend of Robb's, Frank McCulloch. Pieces were also performed by pianist and UNM faculty member Tatiana Vetrinskaya, who is from the National Conservatory in Turkmenistan. Vetrinskaya was referred to at the performance as an incredible interpreter of Robb's music.

The concert presentation was followed by a photo exhibit, which celebrated the life and work Robb.

Robb began his career as a lawyer and studied music in France alongside other internationally renowned composers Horatio Parker, Darius Milhaud, Roy Harris, Paul Hindemith and Nadia Boulanger. In 1941 he then changed his career focus and became the head of the Fine Arts Department and then dean of the College of Fine Arts from 1942-57 here at UNM.

Robb composed a wide variety of symphonies, concertos, sonatas, chamber and other instrumental music including choral works.

Robb was highly experimental with electronic music, which involved utilizing music created by electric generators or oscillators. He also composed two operas, one of which is entitled "Little Jo" and wrote the music for another theatre piece "Joy Comes to Dead Horse."

His fascination with New Mexican folk music resulted in his collection of traditional music from around the globe including Nepal, South America and the American Southwest. This lead to the creation of the John Donald Robb Archive of Southwestern Music.

The John D. Robb Musical Trust made it possible for Tatiana Vetrinskaya to come to Albuquerque and study this music.

"I came here after his death," Vetrinskaya said. "I've been playing his music so much I feel his personality."

Her performance of a piano piece called "Night" consisted of music that conveyed a brilliantly restful atmosphere, beauty and emotion. Then she launched into the first movement of a piece entitled "Carnival" with which she noted, "You will hear in the music endless motion."

The John D. Robb Musical Trust is dedicated to advancing the opportunities and accomplishments of these artists.

The Trust is comprised of a committee of professionals from UNM's Music Department, Robb family members, community members and an executive director who is responsible for administering the Trust's activities.

"We are continuing the legacy of [John Robb's] work," said the director of the Trust, Alicia Ultan.

The photo exhibit will continue through Dec. 20 at the Center for Southwest Research in Zimmerman Library.