Madstone Theater gives spotlight to UNM writer

Dan Mueller, an associate professor in UNM's creative writing program, will be reading at Madstone Theater's fiction writer and playwright presentation The Word, tonight at 8 p.m.

Mueller is an award-winning author with a published work of short stories, titled How Animals Mate, which was selected by Esquire Magazine as one of five best collections of short fiction of 1999.

Mueller's collection of short stories was originally published in hardcover in 1999, and re-released in paperback in 2000. He has a distribution deal and is recognized nation wide.

In an interview with the Lobo, Mueller made it clear that although he loves writing very much, he recognizes the beauty that surrounds him in Albuquerque and at the University.

He does not run with any particular literary crowd or know any famous writers, but this is not his goal.

"In my job, I am surrounded by really great writers, and for that I am thankful," Mueller said. "There is no place on the planet that I would rather be, than right here."

His love of Albuquerque will soon be clear to more than the UNM community since his upcoming novel, built around a family reunion of sorts, will take place in Albuquerque. One of the central characters is Maury Phelps, 67, a retired police chief of the Albuquerque Police Department.

Mueller will draw from the novel during his segment at The Word, and fellow guest Max Ludington will read from his forthcoming novel as well. In addition to the two authors, the Tricklock Theater Company will perform an excerpt from Alicia Erian's screenplay "The Brutal Language of Love."

Mueller says that he honestly has no idea how his name came up among the others, but a month ago he got a call from Madstone asking if he would be interested. Having already taken an interest in the things that Madstone has done for the Albuquerque community, he readily agreed, noting that one of the co-sponsors of the event, Tin House Publishing, was a frequent rejecter of his stories.

Mueller laughs at the notion that writing must be a process of suffering.

"Any day spent writhing is, ipso facto, a good day," Mueller said.

Mueller enjoys what he does and this is evident in his stories, the way he teaches, and the way he lives.

To get a taste of the new authors the critics are going to be raving about, check out The Word - an evening that is sure to be fun and thought-provoking.

Madstone Theater is at 6300 San Mateo NE. Tickets for The Word are $8. For more information call 872-9712 or go to www.madstonetheaters.com.