Ecclectic Dracup stands

Chris Dracup (singer/songwriter) responding to an e-mail interview.

1) Describe your sound.

My sound is a blend of American Blues, Funk, R&B, Reggae and Soul. Hopefully

original and soulful.

2) How do you feel about the competition so far? Are you nervous?

I have had mixed feelings about the competitive nature of the showcase. How do you really boil down to one band that is the best? There are so many extremely talented and interesting artists in this state. Many of the acts are very disparate stylistically, but equally excellent at their particular style.

And the showcase has really just scratched the surface of what's around here. I think there should be a prize, maybe, for each category. The best thing about it has been the cross pollination between the bands and their respective crowds and cliques.

I am surprised somewhat that the judging has been in my favor thus far. It's obviously not just a popularity contest. I just hope Thelonius isn't mad at me. As far as nervousness - sorry, I've been doing this shit too damn long.

3) Who are your influences? Name a local band you would go see on a Friday night.

My earlier influences musically were Jimi, Clapton, Duane, Bob Marley, Soul Music. Lately I've been heavily into Freddie King and Magic Sam and of course Muddy.

I used to be a new waver back in the '80s and was really into bands like Gang of Four, Talking Heads, Brian Eno etc. Frank Zappa is also one of my faves.

I could probably make a list as long as your arm if you let me. I think it's important for artists of any kind to be open to things outside of their immediate domain. I like or appreciate most of it if it is done well, and I love to listen to things or styles that I have never heard before - kudos to KUNM in that respect.

I would also have to say that one of the best influences has been the musical community that I've been blessed with here in Albuquerque and New Mexico. That's people like Eric McFadden or Caleb Miles or any one of my bro's that I grew up playing and learning with.

4) What's the worst thing that's ever happened during a performance?

The worst thing is when you have to play for people who don't pay attention or clap and are too stupid to know any better.

5) If you were stuck in a tour van for months, what item could you not do without?

Herb.

6) Finish this sentence: If I were a type of household cleaner, I would be . . . Lacquer thinner.