Flamenco 'Familia' full of energy

Encinias family, performers tell deep, emotional stories

Passion and desire were conveyed through every dance move and each guitar strum exacted by the Encinias family at the Outpost Performance space Saturday night.

In a small, intimate setting, a world of emotion was created by these performers whose skills spilled onto the stage and overflowed into a thirsty audience.

The kind of energy that was created during "Flamenco Entre Familia," was nothing short of phenomenal.

The songs told a story as the singer, Vicente Griego, displayed every kind of emotion in his face. His voice was loud and powerful and echoed throughout the room. His distinctive voice fluctuated with great flexibility in a tone that was distinctly flamenco.

Though a voice cannot be stereotyped or categorized, this vocal performance contained the essence of flamenco - it was raw and not contrived.

The combination of vocals and guitar makes the performance even more profound. It's like a heartbeat that beats faster and faster with each intense moment that is captured through the song and dance.

The guitarist strummed the cords so fast and seemed as though he was completely immersed in his music and passion for this instrument.

The dancing not only provided visual appeal, but something deeper and almost spiritual. The dancers seemed deep inside themselves as they carefully revealed each emotion that was passed on to the audience.

These dancers made the art of flamenco seem easy, a person could tell that flamenco was something this family shared and embraced their whole life. The dancers gave it their all on the stage and though each dance was different, they all shared one thing - desire.

Marisol's dance was intense and full of passion and heartache. Her face told a thousand stories and her hands moved delicately, showing a gentle and nurturing side. Her moves were strong and full of pride as she took the stage with force. Her presence was that of a free spirit - una mujer salvaje y libre.

All the performers danced flamenco, but with their own styles and personalities attached. Joaquin's performance was more aggressive. As with all the performers, he put his whole being into the dance.

Eva's performance was delicate and graceful. Her story was one of wisdom and perseverance and her moves were delicate and fluid.

An important aspect to this performance was its simplistic setting. The performances were not overshadowed by fancy design.

The evening was pure, raw energy brought about by the performers' passion for flamenco that ignited the stage and the audience.