'Insomniac' showcases Attell's wit

Comedy Central show a seedy, trendy travelouge

Comedian Dave Attell, host of the Comedy Central TV show "Insomniac with Dave Attell," calls the show "'E!'s Wild On' for ugly people."

I respectfully disagree. The show is more like the bar portions of "Blind Date" mixed with "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" and a lot of cheap beer.

Obviously the format works, because Attell is entering his third season as host of the half-hour long show, which premiers tonight at 11:30 p.m. on Comedy Central (Comcast Ch. 59). An hour-long "Best of Insomniac" show precedes the season premiere at 10:30 p.m.

The format is simple. It starts with a sample of Attell's stand-up act, which is summed up in two words: loveably acerbic. Example: Attell does a bit about midgets -- with a female midget sitting in the front row of the club.

Attell then goes from the club to the city's designated party-central area, where he drinks, walks around and makes sly remarks at the expense of people he stops or who stop him.

In tonight's episode, Attell is in Myrtle Beach, S.C., during the annual "Bike Week" -- a haven for bikers, their mamas and other hapless partiers.

Attell's first stop is Suck Bang Blow, a bar that will never be mistaken for Cheers. It offers Attell the opportunity to drink copious amounts and censors the opportunity to blur out exposed breasts.

"There are only two volumes here," Attell says at one point, "motorcycle and yelling."

After a brief spell at Dynamite Fireworks, Attell and his cameraman detour briefly for a drink before going to the Myrtle Beach Airport.

You'd think that an airport wouldn't give much opportunity for comedy, but that changes in the middle of the night. Attell's exchange with a secretive security officer is droll and very funny, as is his interaction with Rick, the "airport rescue firefighter," and the ramp crew.

This is Attell's strength, bringing comedy out of seemingly innocuous situations -- that and making drunk people look even more foolish than normal.

Attell and his man spend a little more time barhopping, final call in Myrtle Beach is 3:30 a.m., and end up at "Alligator Adventure," where late night equals mating season.

"Insomniac with Dave Attell" is fast paced and well-edited. Attell's people skills and his timing make the show work. It's not a novel concept, but in the hands of a lesser funnyman, "Insomniac" might be a boring travelogue. With him at the held it's seedy and salacious.

"Insomniac with Dave Attell" is on every Thursday at 11:30 p.m. The third episode of the current season was shot in Albuquerque. Without giving up too much, yes, Attell goes to the Frontier Restaurant. And an observatory. And -- big surprise -- Downtown.