Lobo fans crowd bowl game

The sea of cherry and silver that donned Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas, Nev., on Christmas Day last month seemed appropriate.

It helped that the University of Nevada at Las Vegas' school colors is scarlet and grey, but the throng of UNM fans at the Sega Sports Las Vegas Bowl could have made any Rebel fan feel at home.

UNM fans came in droves to Las Vegas in support of the football team's second bowl game in six years. While UNM lost the game 27-13 to the University of California at Los Angeles, it did win the attendance battle against the Bruins. Of the announced crowd of 21, 584, about two-thirds comprised Lobo fans. It was estimated that about 6,000 UNM fans made the trip, whether it be by airplane, bus or car.

The trip, though, did have some hazards, especially for those who traveled early in the Christmas week. Nine buses carrying UNM fans and students drove through a storm that hit western New Mexico and eastern Arizona on Dec. 23, but other than a short delay in Flagstaff, Ariz., the trip was relatively uneventful. The weather was still inclement by the next day, but started to clear up late Dec. 24.

Jesse Muniz, a senior at UNM, said the people on his bus were quiet for the initial part of the trip because they weren't sure if they were going to drive through the storm, but once the skies cleared, the excitement grew.

When the buses reached Las Vegas, on Dec. 23, fans were greeted with a pep rally put on by the University. The streets along the Las Vegas Strip during the week were littered with Lobo fans wearing their team's colors.

Muniz said the atmosphere was energetic, especially after five years had past since UNM went to a bowl -- the 1997 Insight.com Bowl.

"It has been a long time since they could go to a bowl game, so everyone is real excited," Muniz said. "You see people on the street, and if you are wearing a Lobo shirt, they'll say, 'Go Lobos!' I think the atmosphere of actually being in a bowl game is exciting. Of course, the fact that you're in Vegas, that's always exciting."

Among those in the stands included former players and parents and relatives of current Lobos.

Eric May, who was an offensive lineman for UNM from 1997-2000 and played in the team's last bowl game, said it was a great feeling to watch some of his former teammates and see the strong fan support. He said he got his ticket through a player on the squad.

May said the Las Vegas Bowl officials did a great job with the developing activities for the players and the fans in the days leading up to the game. He also noted the differences between being on the field and in the stands.

"It's a big difference being a fan than playing, but you also get more fun as a fan," he said. "You get more fun as a fan because you get to cheer and have a beer in the stands."

Harold Penley, the father of UNM tight end Bryan Penley, traveled to Las Vegas from his job as a safety manager at an engineering company in Brazil. He and six family members arrived in Las Vegas on Dec. 23, and by game time, the jetlag had pretty much worn off.

"It's a 14-hour difference between here and there (Brazil), as far as travel time," Harold said. "But, hey, it's a bowl game. It's Christmas."

It's not the first time he has traveled that far to see his son play; he flew to Albuquerque five times to watch Brian and the Lobos play at University Stadium. His trip to Las Vegas with six other family members was not a cheap expense.

"It's about a $4,000 day for dad, but so what?" he said.