Douglas earns Lobo Athlete of the Year

Basketball star outshines several standout athletes

This year's group of UNM athletes was loaded with individual talent.

The Fall 2002 season started with a bang as freshman Ben Ashwill scored a team and conference-high 12 goals on the men's soccer team. Then there was Jordan Adams of the women's basketball team whose size and skill has earned her a spot on the Minnesota Lynx in the WNBA.

Cross-country skier Jimmy Vika was dominant, claiming top honors at the NCAA Skiing Championships in the 10K Freestyle race. Men's golfer Michael Letzig was as consistent as sunshine in Albuquerque, finishing in the top-10 in six tournaments this spring including a victory at the MWC Championships.

The boys of summer have had their share of excellence too with first baseman Chris Alexander clubbing home runs on a torrid pace and senior Dusty Young stringing together an amazing 39-game hitting streak.

But for all their greatness, there was one athlete who rose above the rest and for that reason Ruben Douglas has been named this year's New Mexico Daily Lobo Athlete of the Year.

"It's a great feeling, it's good to be acknowledged," Douglas said.

Douglas was the glue that kept a team and a fan base from falling apart at the seams. Many knew it was going to be a rough year for the UNM men's basketball squad, but few could have predicted just how hard it would be.

After early season losses to lesser teams, Lobo fans quickly realized that a bad storm was on the horizon of a long season. As the dust settled, a star emerged and Douglas became the rallying cry for a desperate team with nothing to lose.

The 6-foot-5-inch, 200 pound shooting guard shattered team and league records on a nightly basis. In all, Douglas set 48 UNM or Mountain West Conference records en route to an unforgettable season. The single most impressive statistic the senior set was scoring 27.96 points per game, good enough for first in the nation, a Lobo first. Another amazing feat that the Altadena, Calif. native accomplished was scoring at least 30 points in five consecutive games from Jan. 27-Feb. 15.

"I think it was a combination of fate and hard work," Douglas said of his season. "Things happen for a reason."

Aside from all the stats and figures, Douglas was a leader who refused to let his ship go down without a fight. He was the only active senior on a team littered with underclassmen after fellow senior Senque Carey went down early with a spinal injury. His veteran presence can only mean good things for the future of young talents like high-flying Mark Walters and big man David Chiotti. Douglas' easy going and humorous demeanor kept a team on the verge of disaster from ever reaching its breaking point.

Douglas carried the Lobos on his back for six months and gave the faithful something to ponder. How many would Ruben score tonight? 30, 40 or maybe even 50. Douglas also put a scare into the hearts of opposing teams that were forced to double and triple team him in an attempt to stop the scoring machine from single handedly beating them.

With Douglas' departure comes a new era in UNM basketball, but his legend will not be forgotten. Fans who watched him grab a rebound and fly down the court for a coast-to-coast layup or saw him bury three after three from NBA range will always remember how Douglas dazzled at The Pit.

Standing out on a team that stood out among all Lobo squads this year was Adams. The senior led UNM to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament for the first time in Lobo basketball history. Now she is in Minnesota trying to earn a spot on the roster while juggling finals via the Internet. In her senior year, she averaged 16 PPG and 6.6 RPG. Adams also played stiffing defense throughout her career, blocking a school-record 345 shots.

Ashwill, a hometown boy from Sandia High School, shot out of the box like thoroughbred. He led UNM to its best record in school history as the Lobos advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament for the first time before falling in a heartbreaker to college soccer powerhouse Saint Louis University. With Ashwill coming back for his sophomore year, the team should only get better.

Letzig has been phenomenal all year long. He started off his solid run by winning the Tucker Invitational at the UNM South Course in September. The senior captain had the best scoring average in the MWC. He was ranked in the top-30 in the nation throughout the year and was recognized for his outstanding play, earning MWC Player of the Year honors.

Vika, a freshman from Ingeberg, Norway, was nearly unbeatable on the men's Nordic team. He blew out the competition at nationals in Hanover, N.H. with a time of 24:03.9 in the 10K Freestyle. His time was nearly 30 seconds better than any other competitor.

Finally, there is Alexander and Young of the offensively explosive baseball team. The two seniors have been zoned in at the plate all year long. Alexander provides the power, leading the conference with 25 home runs and 91 RBIs. Young is the straw that stirs the drink with his .385 average and a tendency to come through in clutch situations. The season is not over yet for these two veterans who will make a run at the conference crown later in the month.

With stars like these leading the way for UNM athletics, there is sure to be more who will follow in their footsteps in years to come. But for now, these are the elite among Lobo athletes.