Students robbed at gunpoint at Johnson Field

UNM police are investigating an armed robbery that took place on Johnson Field Thursday after two men reportedly robbed three students at gunpoint and then fired two shots in the direction of the victims.

The two men reportedly jumped out of a black SUV, then demanded the wallets of the three male students.

UNMPD Cmdr. James Daniels said campus police are looking into the incident and will use a variety of investigative procedures in an attempt to locate the two men.

Daniels said UNM police will use the victim's descriptions of the two men to create photo arrays, similar to lineups, and they will also check with the Albuquerque Police Department detectives for any leads in similar robberies that may have occurred near the time of the campus holdup.

Police were called to the field after a report of shots fired.

The three men, a UNM student and two T-VI students, were walking along the path near the north side of Johnson Field at about 11:45 p.m.

One victim said he watched the black SUV drive by on Redondo Drive and then he noticed the two men jump out.

The two men then reportedly ran toward the victims and ordered them to get on the ground and give up their wallets.

One of the victims described the two men as being between 20 and 30 years old and wearing red bandannas. One is described as shorter and heavyset and the other as being tall and slim.

The police report states that after the two men got the wallets, they fired the handgun in the direction of the victims. Police do not know the caliber of the weapon and they were unable to recover any shell casings at the field.

The report also states that the SUV drove away headed west on Central Avenue. APD was alerted to watch out for the SUV but city officers were not able to locate it.

The victims did not see the SUV's license plate.

The report states that there was about $36 in cash in the three stolen wallets.