Basketball prospect's family has UNM ties

Highly recruited high school basketball star Sean Phaler made an official visit to UNM last week.

Although still undecided on which school he will attend next year, Phaler said he liked what he saw in Albuquerque.

"I like it a lot," he said. "It's not gloomy like Washington was, it's nice weather and stuff like that. I'm enjoying it a lot."

Phaler originally signed on to play with UCLA but after former head coach Steve Lavin was fired, Phaler was told that it would be in his best interests to look elsewhere.

At 6 feet, 9 inches and only 185 pounds, Phaler is projected to create mismatch problems for opposing teams. The Orange County, Calif. native could fill a hole in the UNM roster that is looking to get bigger and taller.

If Phaler does decide to come to UNM in the fall, he would not be the first from his family to do so. His father attended UNM and although the recruit does have family ties to the Lobos, Phaler said that it would not affect his decision.

"That's not a huge factor in it because he's not pressuring me to come here or anything," Phaler said. "He wants me to be happy."

The Street and Smith's High School Honorable Mention All-American said the decision will mostly come down to how he got along with Lobo players and coaches.

If Phaler decides to follow his roots, he will have to do so out of his own pocket. The Lobos are out of scholarships for next semester but could offer the power forward one in the spring.

"Five thousand dollars is not a lot of money," he said. "If this is where I want to go, I'm sure I'll be able to make five thousand dollars."

Phaler has one official visit left but can also unofficially visit schools in Southern California. There is no timetable set on when he will announce his decision.