'Topes take one from Edmonton

The Isotopes beat the Edmonton Trappers 2-1 on Tuesday, snapping a three-game losing streak, salvaging a victory in the four-game set.

"There's some pride in that room and you never want to be swept in a series, especially at home," head coach Dean Treanor said. "We just need to get back on the right track of how we play the game and I felt we did that tonight."

The 'Topes were led by starting pitcher, Nate Bump (6-5), who pitched seven strong innings. He struck out six, allowed no walks and gave up just one unearned run while scattering seven hits. Bump's performance on the hill was in direct contrast to the first three games of the series in which Edmonton scored at least seven runs in every game.

"I was trying to get some work in with new mechanics," Bump said. "I was just trying to get a feel for my curveball and move my fastball in and out."

The Trappers got on the board in the first inning on a defensive miscue by the Isotopes. With two outs, Edmonton center fielder Peter Bergeron reached first base when Albuquerque first baseman Jason Wood bobbled a ground ball. Bergeron promptly stole second and scored on a base hit to center by Luis Figueroa. Figueroa was caught stealing to end the inning but the Trappers had gained a 1-0 lead.

In the bottom of the third, the 'Topes managed to even out the score. Kevin Hooper led off and reached base after being hit by a Britt Rheames pitch. The Isotopes then used a hit and run to perfection. Hooper took off for second and when the second baseman went to cover the bag, Wilson Valdez poked a ground ball through the right side of the infield. Hooper advanced to third on the hit. Rheames (3-8) then uncorked a wild pitch that allowed Hooper to tie the game and Valdez moved to third.

The 'Topes had runners on first and third with no outs after Chad Allen walked but they were unable to capitalize when Jason Wood and Robert Stratton struck out and Abraham Nunez grounded out to end the inning.

The two teams found themselves in a pitching duel and Bump was certainly up to the challenge. Over his next four innings of work, the right-hander allowed only one base runner to move into scoring position and that came in the fourth.

"Anytime you have a close game and you can keep a team in it without giving it up, it's a positive step," Bump said.

The Trappers loaded the bases in the fourth on three singles but could not come through in the clutch as Anthony Medrano grounded into a double play to end the threat.

In the bottom of the fifth, the Isotopes took the lead for good courtesy to some clutch hitting.

With two outs, Allen hit an opposite-field double to the right field corner. Wood came up next and delivered an RBI double off the base of the fence in left-center.

"He tried to bury a fastball in and I was kind of looking for it," Wood said. "I was able to get my hands inside it and get good wood on it."

The run would prove to be the game winner as the 'Topes bullpen shut the Trappers down over the final two innings.

Juan Alvarez pitched a perfect eighth inning for Albuquerque and Mike Judd worked the ninth for his third save of the year.

The Isotopes were able to pitch an effective game against a Trapper team that came into the night hitting .303 as a team. Edmonton's Luis Ortiz, who had four homers in the previous three games, was held in check, going hitless in four at bats.

"He hurt us for three nights and it was good for us to prevent him from doing anything tonight," Treanor said.

With the win, the Topes (37-42) moved to within 2.5 games of the first place Colorado Springs Sky Sox in the Central Division.

The Isotopes open a four-game series tonight with the Zephyrs in New Orleans. The 'Topes return to Albuquerque on Monday and will take on the Omaha Royals for four games.